Jill Johns International - Helping Women Take Flight.
My Blog

From Corporate Junkie to Entrepreneur

I know, it sounds cliché...I left a lucrative corporate career to start my own business. I wanted more freedom, more flexibility, more autonomy. Blah, blah, blah.

Actually, that’s not how it started for me. I am one of those rare breeds who LOVED working in corporate America. I love the intricacies of corporate culture. I love the seeming inability to impact change. I love the rules, the containers and even the politics. And much to my dismay, corporate kicked me out. Fly, little birdie, fly! We’re moving your department to Dallas without you, so fly, little birdie! Yikes! Ugh! Yuck… I was a little birdie who didn’t want to fly. I wanted to stay in my little nest, thank you very much.

Well, that’s not 100% true. I have always been an entrepreneur at heart. Haven’t we all? When my kids’ dad and I divorced, I made them pillows with our faces printed on them. That way when they were at the other parent’s house, they could still see us and hug us. I thought it would make a cool business for other single parents or for military families, but I didn’t have time to launch it. I was too busy with my corporate career.

Fast forward a few years and I began knitting fingerless gloves for friends of mine who hula hoop outdoors in Florida. Their hands were cold during their morning hooping sessions and they didn’t want to wear “fingered” gloves. Needless to say, buying gloves of any type in Florida is virtually impossible…almost as impossible as buying bathing suits in Minnesota in February. So I custom made gloves and sent the gloves to them. That would’ve been a cool business to start, too, if I had time. But who has time when you’re working a 9-5 corporate gig and raising four kids?

Fast forward again to that fly little birdie part. On Thursday they told me my department was moving to Dallas (without me), on Friday I cried and on Saturday I decided it was now or never to start my own business. I was turning 40 that year, my kids were starting to say “Mom who?” and it took a PhD in logistics to decipher my daily calendar with everything we had going on. Entrepreneurship had to be easier, right?

Luckily for me, I had a fantastic mentor who helped me start my first business. It was a challenging, bumpy start but I am proud to say that I now publish a home improvement magazine for the Savannah area called Home Advantage. Check it out at www.LowcountryHomeAdvantage.com.

I went from working in companies with 10,000+ employees to running my own team of 4 – all of whom telecommute. I don’t have an office. We don’t physically see each other very often and we definitely spend more time alone than together. Learning to be a solo-preneur has been the most challenging part of owning my own business. I thrive on interactions with others. I love to bounce ideas off people. I like to hash out my issues in small groups. And now, it’s just Cupcake (the yorkie/shih tzu mix) and me. That’s why I was so thrilled to discover One Million Cups. It’s a great excuse to get out of the home office and to connect with other local entrepreneurs. It’s nice to have a tribe.

I can definitely say that I have been bitten by the entrepreneur bug. I have resurrected my favorite part of my corporate career and have launched my second business as a Women’s Empowerment coach.

Who knows where this journey will lead? I can honestly say that ten years ago I would have never imagined being the owner of my own business, especially not a home improvement magazine. I know for sure that owning two businesses wasn’t even a possibility back then. That’s what’s so cool about being an entrepreneur. While the corporate lifestyle is full of rules, containers and paths that are pre-determined by the powers that be, the sky’s the limit with entrepreneurship.

I’m glad this little birdie got the opportunity to spread my wings and soar!

10 Comments to From Corporate Junkie to Entrepreneur :

Comments RSS
Belinda on Tuesday, May 05, 2015 5:27 PM
Great, inspiring post! Looking forward to seeing where this new venture takes you!
Reply to comment

esay writer on Wednesday, May 02, 2018 3:46 AM
I am amazed in your story. It is not easy to have a boss in a company. You need to make sure that you do all the tasks that given to you. You need to have a time management and you should adapt to the things that happen to you. I'm glad that you choose to have your own business than to be employed in a company. Now you have your own time in everything. You are the boss in your own business. To have a business like this is like a having a baby for the first time. You should need to take good care of it.

Rush Essay Reviews on Wednesday, June 27, 2018 10:03 PM
This is an inspiring story, it would help people who are interested in having their own business. There will be times that a certain happening may make us feel down and lose hope, but these are just paths that we need to go through to be able to get to where we can find greater opportunities. Having a business may seem complicated but there are more benefits behind it, you hold your own time and be as flexible as you want, all it takes is creativity and innovation to make it a success. Achieving greater things will make us more motivated and look forward at what's in store for us in the future. It is never too late to go beyond our usual way, discovering and risking things may lead to greater happenings that we did not expect to come.

Stock Tips on Friday, October 23, 2015 7:51 AM
After i read this information then i feel much better because there are i learn some business related information for future vision.
Reply to comment

rushessays on Friday, May 25, 2018 12:00 AM
I've learned a lot about you. I admit that being an employee was not really easy, typically when you have a big boss in your office for the reason that you've to obey all command of all the task that was given to you of your boss even-though you have a lot of work to finish. You've just an employee and they are the boss. I'm so proud of you, you're brave to stand on your own and to manage your business on your own as well.

Melbourne Window Cleaning on Tuesday, December 06, 2016 9:18 AM
Great article. It is very helpful for those who want to be a entrepreneur like me. Thanks
Reply to comment

bestessey.com review on Wednesday, May 31, 2017 2:19 AM
From the corporate junkie to enreprenuer the lucrative corporate career to start the more flexibility autonomy. The working corporate with the entreprenuer printed the pillows make a cool business.
Reply to comment

aly on Monday, April 23, 2018 2:07 AM
Nice
Reply to comment

gf on Thursday, May 24, 2018 8:42 PM
sad
Reply to comment

EmailBot on Tuesday, July 03, 2018 3:21 AM
Sending Bulk Emails: Quick Tips and Tricks for Success Focus: Sending bulk emails Other: Sending bulk emails, Email Sending software, Email Marketing, Send emails without spam So, your business has finally started getting traction. You have started to get mass leads, and even better, you can even talk to them- by simply sending bulk emails. But have you ever launched an email campaign to your subscriber list and got no response? Or have you ever wondered whether your emails were opened or were just marked as spam? Well, we all have emails that we don’t read, ignore, or immediately delete altogether! So there are chances that your email is not even catching your audience eye. As long as you are not a being part of email blast or spam, it’s time that you maximize the potential of your campaigns. According to research by Direct Marketing Association, email campaigns generate an ROI of 4300% and are 40X more effective than Facebook and Twitter combined. Whether you are new to sending bulk emails or are a seasoned pro, this article will walk you through the quick tips and tricks for a winning e-mail campaign. Personalize Your Mass Email Campaigns Personalized emails improve click-through rates and also increase the conversions at a significant pace. Don’t jump on forcing the familiarity with the customer! Instead, send the email that acknowledges the individuality of a subscriber like his purchase history or something that is part of his wish list/cart. For example: placing the customer’s name in your email shows a little importance, but personalizing it according to recipient’s specific details always showcases an extra effort. Also, make sure that you follow the below tips before you start sending bulk emails: • Send mass emails only to your subscriber list as untargeted emails are simply marked as spam. • Be honest about your campaigns. • Whenever you are sending bulk emails, optimize them for all devices so that the users can read the emails according to their convenience. Do Not Understate The Power Of Subject Lines Your subject line should be something that prompts them to click on an email or intrigues them on knowing more. It is the first chance that you can use to connect with your potential customers. When it comes to writing that perfect subject line, make sure you use those 60-70 characters wisely. According to a research, 900 emails were tracked, and it was found that there is no increase in the CTR at the character length of 60 and 70. So, subject lines that come up as most beneficial should lie below 50 characters. “Short, Catchy, and Beneficial”! • Shorter subject lines are less likely to cut-off and hence get a higher response rate from the customer. • Personalize the subject line! Not by adding the brand name, but by adding the email recipient first or the last name. • Don’t include words like Free, Cash, and other trigger words. And never write the subject line in CAPITALS. Focus On The Overall Email Design Even the most promoted email campaigns don’t show effective results if it does not display properly. No matter which email sending software you use or what you are offering, email design will always be of utmost importance. Whenever you are sending emails in bulk, make sure that your images are displayed properly, and the content is optimized according to all devices. And if you are not sure of the design, stick to tables or cells with all styles in line. It is not about how email marketing campaign look. But it is all about how it is actually performing! • The email should load easily. • Send emails without spam. • It should be readable, and the design should not be complex to browse. Don’t make them jump through a lot of steps for easy navigation. Simply follow a minimalistic structure, and you will definitely see the success rates go up. Also, did you know that there are 95% of customers opt to get their favorite brand emails as they find them useful? Send Emails On A Prime Time The prime time for sending bulk emails is from 08:00 PM to midnight. This time block not only gives better open rates but also positively impacts the clicks and sales. Moreover, Saturdays and Sundays also work in favor of the email campaigns. The volume of email sent on weekends and evenings is quite low and allow your messages to stand out. But do not stay at any one-time block. Different time slots work according to the different business and their target audiences. So keep testing and figure out when your target opens the e-mail and responds to it. You can also experiment with unusual subject lines, email design and call to action at different time slots and find out what works for you. 47% Of The Emails Are Opened On Mobile Devices With that being stated, it is essential that you optimize the email so that it works effectively on mobile devices. Be it your design, images, or content; make sure that the email looks it best, no matter where it is read. Quick tips for optimizing it for mobiles are: • Reduce the font size. Large characters take up the entire screen and make the email difficult to read. • Make sure that the call to action buttons are 44 pixels tall and 44 pixels wide. • Your email should follow the basic one column template as it is easy to navigate and read. • There are users who scroll with their thumbs, so it is best to keep the clickable elements in the middle of the screen. Final Thoughts: Email Marketing is an undeniably a fundamental element of any marketing strategy. It has both high retention and acquisition rates and definitely serves as an effective way to boost your business. So with hundreds and thousands of emails sent out every day to millions of subscribers, take heart the above tips and stand out of the crowd in no time. Don’t forget to measure the results regularly to make sure that you are on the right track.
Reply to comment